Laughing is good for your health; there are loads of studies showing that. Do you get enough laughter in your life? One of our own local expats, Cheryl Gaudet, singer and guitarist extraordinaire, is looking out for us. Soon, everyone in Mazatlán will be able to easily and enjoyably improve our health with loads of laughter therapy at the new Mazatlán Comedy Club (MCC).
Nationally recognized comedians from the US will be joining us for five all-English shows, one Sunday each month, November through March. The comedians have all been on primetime TV and have played some of the best clubs in the world. Many of them have multiple albums. Each show includes performances by two comedians.
Doors open at 5:30 so that the show can begin at 7:00 pm. Get there early to eat, so you don’t choke while you’re laughing at the show! Each 500 peso ticket gets you a buffet dinner, OPEN bar, parking and the double-headliner performances. What a deal!
The shows will be “clean,” family-friendly, and will take place at the gorgeous Venados Showroom in the Hotel Playa. Tickets can be purchased at the concierge’s desk in the lobby of the Hotel Playa. The venue seats 350 people, at tables set up for anywhere from 1 to 15 people. You can choose your seats on a chart at the concierge desk, and you can reserve a table for your family and friends. Get all your mates together and enjoy a night of fun! There is also balcony seating. Please note that only cash is accepted.
We bought our tickets a couple of weeks ago, and today I sat down with Cheryl to see if I could get some of the inside scoop. I learned that she has always led a double life, and a very interesting one at that. This is what she had to say.
Here’s the schedule for this season:
- November 30th will bring us Kenny Bob Davis (has opened for Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Vince Gill, has four albums) and Jim Summers (appeared on The Improv, Punchline, and loads of clubs and festivals). You can watch videos of both of these gentlemen on the MCC page.
- December 21st is Bobbie Shropshire (she has performed with Andrew Dice Clay, George Carlin and Richard Prior, and at the Comedy Store and The Improv) and Larry Elliott (Santa incarnate, for a terrific family holiday show—he’s the Hollywood Christmas Parade Santa). See more on the event page on the MCC site.
- January 25th brings Al Ducharme (He’s a looker! Al has performed on Comics Unleashed, Today Show, Inside Edition, Comedy.TV, and at Caroline’s and in Heineken commercials) and Bernadette Pauley (The Gossip Queens, Comedy.TV, Comedy Central, New York Post). Videos of both comedians are on the MCC site.
- February 22nd we’ll hear Kat Simmons (The Improv, Catch a Rising Star, Comedy Channel, Candid Camera) and Marc Yaffee (Showtime, American Indian Comedy Slam, Comics Unleashed, Latino Laugh Festival, Pow Wow Comedy Jam). You can find more details and videos on the MCC page.
- March 29th will showcase Rocky Whatule (Friends, Showtime, Sunset Stripped, Rockin Wrap Up) and Bubba Bradley (Last Comic Standing, Nashville, 700 Club). MCC shows videos of the performers.
When you go, remember to bring non-perishable food items to donate to Friends of Mexico, who will get it out to those who need it. I’m proud to learn that Cheryl continues her lifelong passion for inclusivity and community outreach by partnering with FOM in this way. We hope the Mazatlán Comedy Club will be laughing its way into our hearts and to success!